Portland, Oregon | Design: PATH Architecture, Inc. | Construction: Kaiser Group, Inc.
Cedarwood Waldorf School is a private institution that originally opened in Portland in 1997. By 2000, the school had outgrown their space and decided to purchase and move into a historic 1910 building called Neighborhood House, in Lair Hill, a close-in, mostly residential neighborhood in southwest Portland. Neighborhood House was designed by local architect A. E. Doyle, who also designed the Portland Central Library, and served as a community center for almost a century.
By 2010, Cedarwood again needed more space. Neighborhood House had a 12,000 square foot annex that Cedarwood also owned. At the time, the annex housed an unused swimming pool and racquetball courts, and had been unoccupied for over 20 years. The Cedarwood board spent some time meeting with architects and builders to determine the best way forward with the existing structure of the annex – renovate or tear down?
After meeting with PATH, it became clear that Cedarwood was committed to moving forward with plans for the annex and their school only if they were environmentally responsible and historically sensitive to the site and the buildings – while keeping in mind the school’s budget. PATH’s vision for the renovation of the Neighborhood House annex at Cedarwood addressed these concerns by keeping the annex intact through updating and modernizing the interior spaces, while reimagining and refreshing the exterior beauty of the annex, yet still holding on to the building’s historical context and aesthetic.
The remodeled annex at Cedarwood features new classrooms, a commercial-size teaching kitchen, a music room and a large event space, all daylit with larger windows. The entire school also received a new HVAC system, ADA accessability, and a full seismic upgrade to present day code.